Thursday, October 18, 2012

sleeping with darth vader

dad always said
"if it's worth doing
it's worth doing right"

which of the following do you think my doctor
said to me at my follow up appointment:
A) you would win a gold medal at the sleep apnea olympics
B) you have state fair level sleep apnea
C) i would not get into a car with you driving for fear that you would fall asleep
D) all of the above
E) none of the above

the answer is "D"
the first two things are kinda boring...
when i dream and my body position...
and i have no idea what the last one is...

#3 - apnea-hypopnea
all those red marks are where i was either
having difficulty breathing
or
was not breathing at all

#4 - oxygen saturation
the green line should be fairly straight throughout
and above 90
there are times when it dips to 85

#5 - microarousal
this is my brain waking me up
as my doctor put it
"this isn't your brain saying very sweetly
jess...  jess...  please wake up and breathe...
this is your brain screaming
WAKE UP DAMNIT!!!"

can you tell at which point in the night
the tech put the cpap mask on me???

i stop breathing
and 
my brain wakes me up (thankfully)
on average
every 30 seconds a night
well no wonder i can fall asleep while jogging...
got my cpap machine yesterday...
let me tell you - 
i am one sexy mofo with it on...
i don't know how heather's going
to keep her hands off me...
i walked out of the bathroom
and
pete growled at me until i said his name...
then he wagged his tail
and
said "sorry mom...  but you look like an idiot"...
maddie took off out of the room...
took her a bit to get used to it...
me too...
i don't think i woke up as often as i used to...
but i still woke up a few times...
i'll have to spend some more time adjusting the straps and such...
but i think i got better sleep...
which is the plan...

ps: all doctor's quotes are actual doctor's quotes...  i did not exaggerate for the sake of a better story...  he's just that cool... 

No comments:

Post a Comment