Monday, August 12, 2013

warrior dash

so i did the warrior dash on saturday...

driving in

super jess

pre dash warriors

pre mud pit of death

mud bath with the dusings

mud pit

under the barbed wire

oh my god i'm gonna die

super jess down

would not have made it without matt, brad and amy

kiki was a beast

the dusings

cargo net bruise saturday

cargo net bruise monday

i knew going in
that i wasn't going to be able to complete
all of the obstacles...
but i told myself that i would make
that decision when i got to them...
i didn't want to talk myself out of anything
before i even saw it...
i didn't do the great warrior wall
or
the giant cliffhanger...
which were wall climbs with ropes...
i know i don't have the upper body 
for that...
i watched amy do the giant cliffhanger,
which is a slanted wall climb
with a rope
and slats for your feet that were 
probably about 5 feet apart...
up one side
and
down the other...
muddy...
she was a beast 
and i was so proud of her...

i also didn't do the mud mounds...
it was the fourth obstacle...
i knew that climbing over those
mounds of mud
and carrying all that mud 
on me and my clothes
for the rest of the dash
would wear me down too quickly...

i made it only halfway across
the sideways cargo net...
i caught my arm right before
i fell and 
that's where the lovely
bruise above came from...
i was feeling a little down
about myself at that point...
feeling like i wasn't doing
everything as well as i thought
i could...
or should...
but brad came back to get me saying,
halfway's better than not at all...
and with a little fist bump
we were back on the trail...

couple more obstacles...
and then here comes
the end... 
muddy mayhem...
or
as i like to refer to it
the mud pit of death...
jumping in was kind of fun...
a big mud bath...
crawling hands and knees
through soupy nasty muddiness...
the farther i got
the thicker the mud got...
almost a peanut butter consistency...
and i understood how people die in quicksand...
this was the part where i was
physically exhausted...
but i didn't give up...
i couldn't give up...
this part,
this mud,
this was the hardest part of the
whole thing...
but i dug deep
and with a little help from the dusings
and hearing my hk cheering for me,
i made it up and out...
i crossed the finish line...
got my medal...
and collapsed...

it was absolutely
the hardest 
most physically 
challenging thing
i have ever done in my life...
and as i was complaining to 
my friend tyler about it
he said to me,
"that's why you did it"...
and he was right...
i challenged myself...
and even though i didn't do as
well as i wanted to do,
i did it...
it was definitely an experience
i'll never forget and i'm
glad i did it...
but i'm not sure if i'll do it again...

stay tuned for the story of
having to strip down in the parking lot
and
hosing off naked in the backyard...

No comments:

Post a Comment